Why You Need to Fire up Your Immune System Now
The truth is, no matter how many vaccines or medications pharmaceutical companies come up with for COVID-19 or any other coronavirus, you still need a strong immune system.
The pandemic has opened our eyes to how easily – and quickly – our health can come under siege.
I believe, at some point, you will be exposed to a novel coronavirus – whether it is SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that leads to COVID-19) or a new, future pandemic.
While infectious disease will always be a potentially serious threat to your well-being, you also need robust immunity for chronic illness, like diabetes, Alzheimer's and cancer.
Your immune system is your first line of defense against all disease – your protection from diseases that not only claim lives but reduce quality of life.
The good news is there is much you can do to improve your immune system function.
Think of your immune system as an army whose primary job is to protect you from threats. You want this army to do two things:
- 1Correctly identify a threat and fight it until the danger has passed
- 2Respond appropriately to the threat with the right degree of response
Too massive of a response can harm your tissues and even be deadly. This type of hyper-response, sometimes seen with COVID-19, is called the cytokine storm. A harmful, damaging response can also be seen with chronic inflammation and autoimmune conditions.
A healthy immune system is highly functioning and responds to threats or invaders in an appropriate, balanced way. And it doesn't depend on medications or external influences to do so.
The best way to achieve this type of optimal immune function is to cultivate your active immunity, or the natural protective actions of your immune system.
When you strengthen your immune system, you reinforce your ability to create active immunity and you contribute to herd immunity to help protect everyone.
Meeting the Challenge: UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS
Eating a wide array of herbs and spices on a regular basis can go a long way toward strengthening your immune system and preventing illness.
Wide array are the key words here. How do you consume a wide array of herbs and spices when many of us regard them as little more than culinary seasonings?
Recognizing that challenge – and to help you create a strong, resilient immune system – I decided to write UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS.
In UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS, I show you how to use 19 different medicinal herbs and spices for far more than just seasoning dishes. And I show firsthand how healthy eating can also be appetizing and delicious.
Giving your body foods like these nutrient-packed herbs and spices enables your immune system to protect you against all types of threats. UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS shows you how to fortify your internal army to be battle ready.
When you know your internal immune fighters are well supplied and strong, you can feel more confident and sleep easier at night.
And speaking of sleep, I also cover the basics of robust immunity and all the factors that play key roles, like hydration, diet, gut health and sleep in UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS.
Let me ask you... Have you ever read or heard something about a beneficial herb and wished you could recall where you read or heard it?
With UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS you won't need to go searching. Everything you want to know about how to use these medicinal herbs and spices for different illnesses, including colds and flu, diabetes, high blood pressure and even cancer, is all in one place.
Using Nature's Medicine Cabinet to Fortify Your Immune System
Before we had drugs, plants served as the go-to medicines for every ailment.
These plant medicines haven't changed. They're just as powerful as they were back in the days of your ancestors. But what do we know about these medicinal herbs and spices that make them so valuable for your immune health today?
Herbs and spices are some of the highest antioxidant foods in existence, making them extraordinarily effective at neutralizing harmful free radicals.
With fewer free radicals attacking your cells and tissues, your immune system can instead focus on fighting external invaders and keeping your system in balance, or what's called homeostasis.
Antioxidant value isn't the only reason why herbs and spices are so powerful. Many of these botanicals have special medicinal properties and are dense in vitamins and minerals.
Don't be fooled by the small size and weight of herbs and spices. They pack a wallop into a small package.
Just because a recipe may call for a small amount of a spice or herb doesn't mean it can't have a potent effect on your health. Always remember plant remedies were the go-to medicines before the advent of drugs.
Because herbs and spices offer such tremendous potential for your immune health, I'm going to show you how to use them throughout your day.
Think of UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS as your guide to fine tuning your immunity through not only your meals, but also through delicious teas, tonics, jams and juices that you can enjoy anytime.
UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS Shows You How to Build an Immune System You Can Trust
In addition to providing you with delicious recipes for supercharging your immunity, I wanted to include other information as well. While there's little question diet is the most important contributor to immune health, other factors play key roles too.
Here are just a few of the highlights you'll discover in the first half of UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS: Herbal Tonics, Broths, Brews, and Elixirs to Supercharge Your Immune System:
- How to know much water you need each day (you may be surprised)
- The popular beverage that "primes" your immune system to respond five times faster to pathogens (compared to drinking this other beverage)
- 11 ways to improve your sleep – and your immunity
- What some experts now consider to be a major cause of 90% of all diseases and illnesses and simple strategies to conquer it
- The ONE most important change to make to lose weight, feel happier and more energized, and reduce your risk of chronic disease
- A powerful strategy for boosting fat burning and improving your metabolic efficiency and body composition (including stubborn belly fat and hard-to-lose pounds)
- How to use the ancient teachings of Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine as a shortcut to supercharging your immune system
- The common (but easy-to-quit) habit that's linked to cancer, excess inflammation and poor immune health
- Three of my favorite stress-reducing secrets (one of them is a simple, feel-good method that quickly lowers levels of stress hormones in your body)
The Secret of Herbs: Synergistic Medicine for Combating Medical Conditions
By using more herbs and spices in your cooking, and including more herb-laced tonics, teas and jams to your diet throughout the day, you can help prevent and fight mild and serious health conditions.
How do herbs and spices compare to pharmaceuticals?
While some pharmaceuticals are derived from natural herbs, they typically contain only one or two primary constituents. Every herb and spice contains multiple constituents that can each play a role in supporting your immunity.
These elements work synergistically and in concert to influence each other and extend these benefits in ways science is only beginning to understand.
You don't get that benefit from pharmaceuticals.
Here are just some examples you'll find in UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS for using medicinal herbs and spices for different health conditions:
- This herb inhibits the accumulation of destructive beta amyloids and breaks up existing plaques in the brains of Alzheimer's patients (it's even more effective at inhibiting the formation of protein fragments than many other Alzheimer's treatments!)
- This spice Influences the expression of more than 700 genes and helps fight inflammation in the brain – a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease.
- This spice helped diabetics reduce their blood sugar levels significantly (as compared to oral diabetes medications).
Flu and Colds
- This herb suppressed the H1N1 flu virus by 50% – much better odds than the flu vaccine. Those who did still get sick with the flu recovered quicker and experienced fewer post-flu complications.
- This kitchen staple contains a compound that reacts faster with dangerous free radicals than any other known compound.
High Blood Pressure
- This herbal extract significantly reduced blood pressure levels in a study with twins with borderline high blood pressure.
- This adaptogenic herb suppresses pathways for arthritis, asthma, hypertension, osteoporosis and cancer.
- This flavonoid found in three popular medicinal herbs slows cancer growth and decreases tumor size by shrinking the blood vessels feeding the tumor.
- This herbal compound can bind to 160 proteins in your body for far-reaching health effects, unlike pharmaceutical drugs which target only one site.
- This popular tea was shown to reduce thyroid cancer as much as 80%.
- This herb prevents the development of new blood supply for cancer cell growth (known as anti-angiogenesis).
- This herb is widely used in this country's cuisine and their prevalence of four common U.S. cancers – colon, breast, prostate and lung – is 10 times lower.
- The kitchen staple that contains a compound that reacts faster with dangerous free radicals than any other known compound.
- This herb slows down the transformation of cells from normal to cancerous, and inhibits the spread of existing tumor cells.
- This "king of bitters" inhibits the growth of human breast cancer cells in a manner similar to the popular breast cancer drug tamoxifen. Plus, research shows it fights cancers of the stomach and colon. (Try its stems in this delicious tea.)
More Than 40 Palate-Pleasing Recipes Designed to Supercharge Your Immunity
In the second half of UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS you'll find more than 40 recipes along with beautiful photos, all designed to help strengthen and balance your immune system.
You'll find recipes you can enjoy both at mealtime and between meals. Here is just a sampling of the many herbal tonics, dishes, broths, brews and elixirs thatI've included in UPGRADE YOUR IMMUNITY WITH HERBS:
- This herbal manuka honey sleep tonic relieves stress and helps your body adapt so it can heal while you sleep.
- This herbal-enhanced, soothing bone broth is so powerful, it's like taking your immune system to the gym.
- Restore your life force and turn back aging with this herb-infused gooseberry jam (stir a teaspoon or two into a cup of warm milk for a year-round morning tonic).
- Recharge your batteries with this hydrating, detoxifying powerhouse drink with immune-enhancing herbs.
- Give your resilience a lift with this rejuvenating tea brewed with herbal leaves, buds and stalks.
- The flu-fighting, immune-boosting syrup that even kids love (take one to two teaspoons a day during cold and flu season to keep your immunity strong, and double up if you feel something coming on).
- This flavorful dish with potent antivirals utilizes a bright citrusy spice with special antiseptic power that's sure to be a welcomed addition to your spice cabinet.
- Perfect for a fast or nourishing meal (depending on your additions), this chicken broth recipe takes bone broth to a whole new level.
- Our special Fire Tonic recipe – a powerful combination of warming, digestive-stimulating herbs (minus the gut-irritating chilis), that lasts for 6-9 months in the fridge.
- A delicious herbal roasted garlic sauce that's perfect over sautéed steaks (warning: you may be tempted to eat it by the spoonful!)
- Enjoy the virtues of garlic (without having to eat it raw) with this garlic-spiked lemon-honey tea.
- Recreate this restorative Chinese cuisine staple at home using nurturing botanicals
- Our favorite Green Juice with Ginger and Lime recipe.
- Like a gentle hug for your gut, this soothing tea with healing, calming and anti-inflammatory herbs that are just as tasty as they are restorative.
- Tulsi jellies that you'll savor any time of the day for an immune-charging sweet treat.